Monday, January 28, 2008

.human will?.

"We who are Jews by birth and not 'Gentile sinners' know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified." (Galatians 2:15-16)


How often have we tried to be better people?

How often have we failed at being better people?

How often have we heard a sermon about being a better person?

How often have we as teachers of the Bible taught people how to be a better person?

How often is the answer Jesus?

I ask these questions because in my life I have tried to become a "better" person. I have tried to be a person that is more like what I read about in the Bible. I have heard so many sermons, it doesn't matter from what kind of church, about being a better person. Not often was Jesus the answer from conservative churches to emergent churches the answer was the same, human will and strength.
When I look back on some of the lessons I taught, they were about doing things. Doing things under our own effort. Some were about relying on Jesus for the power and guidance to change and be transformed. However not as much as I would like. I only hope that the ones about relying totally on Christ Jesus sunk in. So I hope when I am in a teaching position again the message that the students hear is Jesus, Jesus and Jesus. I want to be a one song band.

So have you found a place where Jesus is the hero?

Have you found a place where you are taught to seek Jesus?

Have you found a place where you are taught to rely on Jesus?

Have you found a place where Jesus is the answer?

I have and I plan on someday soon being that place for students. A place where they can come and fall more in love with Jesus and learn to humbly follow and rely on Him. I hope that we all learn and live out that Jesus is Lord and Savior.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As I have been teaching at youth group for CrossWinds, I want Jesus to be the point of every message. I'm excited when I find people who have the same heart, because it's easy to get caught up into the idea that if we just try harder than we can be better people. True personal growth is always the result of loving Jesus and letting God take control of your life.